The Bay Area’s publication dedicated to dance, In Dance, is known for its engaging interviews with local and visiting artists, articles that prompt and reflect conversations in the community, and a featured list of Bay Area dance artists and organizations. In 2020, In Dance shifted to a quarterly, digital publication in response to the pandemic and continues to amplify a variety of voices.
In Dance Magazine Call for Contributors
My name is Nkeiruka Oruche, an Igbo multi-disciplinary creative, producer and cultural organizer based in the Bay Area, California. I am currently the guest editor for Dancers’ Group publication, In Dance. This issue’s theme is ‘Home is Where The Dance Is’.
The issue is focused on people of African descent and what our intimate and informal connections to dance are. How dance connects us to our family/roots. What dances did our family/homes gift us, or seed in us. How our connections/practice of dance in diaspora connects back to the places of origin. What images or depictions of dance did we experience from/at home. The issue wants to explore what dance looks like for us at ‘home’ — focusing on our connections to dance in intimate and safe spaces and environments. Where we’ve felt seen, where we’ve felt rooted, and where we’ve felt connected.
Calling writers, visual artists, filmmakers, content creators, photographers who can create work that speak to the issue’s theme.
- Compensation if invited to contribute (youth stipends available as well)
- Let me know interest by Feb 8
- If invited, submit final ideas/options by Feb 15
- The first draft will be due Feb 27, 2023
- We would meet and have conversations in between so that I can answer any questions, and we have opportunities to edit
- I would also need from you your photos, image descriptions, and a short bio to accompany the articles
Are you interested? Do you have an idea to contribute?
Complete this FORM to let us know about yourself, and your idea
I look forward to hearing from you.
Submit performance details for our digital calendar.